Tuesday, January 5, 2010

breakfast goodness

Scandinavian Muesli
2 c old fashioned rolled oats
2/3 c rye or wheat flakes
1/3 coarsely chopped almonds
2 tb flaked coconut
1/2 c raisins
2 tb honey
1/2 t vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
1/4 c ground flaxseed

Preheat oven to 350. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Spread oats and rye/wheat flakes onto baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Stir in almonds and coconut; bake until fragrant, about 8 minutes. Turn off the oven. Stir in raisins.

Microwave honey for 10 seconds in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon and pour over muesli mixture. Stir to coat. Return the mixture to the turned-off warm oven and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Stir in flaxseed.

Store in the refrigerator and it will last for a couple of weeks.

My thoughts (now that I've made it more than once):
*It's DELICIOUS and filling...I mix it with vanilla yogurt.
*The "mix-ins" are sort of up to you...you could use any dried fruit and any amount you want...I liked the raisins so much (they really plump up) that I added more this time...along with about double the coconut.
*I prefer to add flaxseed to it when I eat it...it all sinks to the bottom of the storage container.
*If you can't find rye or wheat flakes, just add more rolled oats.

Enjoy! Especially my little friend who is a vegan for 21 days....no animal products in this recipe! :)

1 comment:

clarkyclark said...

Aww, thanks nans! I'll have to make some this weekend.