Thursday, April 30, 2009

pigs, Mexico, the CDC, or someone...owes me money

Oh. My. Gosh. I'm about to move to Mexico just so I don't hear about the dang swine flu one more time. Not really Mexico, maybe a US island. Those of you from here and those of you not from here, thanks to the Today Show, most likely know that Fort Worth ISD closed ALL schools until at least May 11th. Because 1 child was confirmed with the flu of the swine and 3 others were probable. Nevermind the other 79, 996 kids who attend school in that district. I teach nearby, so of course I had 4 kids out today. One was legit; double ear infection. Not sure about the other 3.

My job is super important. I'm supposed to be shaping these young minds and developing their character. Preparing them for the scariness of TAKS. Teaching them how to solve problems-both word problems in math and social ones. Nurturing their sweet personalities and fixing the not so sweet ones. NOT listening to them argue over the "swine" vs. "swan" flu. Or mediating between 2 kids who were arguing (and getting quite angry, might I add) about how long a person with "the bad flu" had to be in the hospital. 3 weeks was the discrepancy. I didn't mediate. I said solve this amongst yourselves. The nurse's daughter, a complete ham whom I adore dearly, made it known that: a-the school was closing May 11th, b-her mom is the nurse and therefore she would know if the school was closing, and c-that White Settlement has the swine flu. I think the majority of my class listened to her.

We got Clorox wipes (purchased by the district) today to use to wipe down all surfaces...so we spent a good 10 minutes doing that this afternoon. Can I hire these kids for the summer???

I am asking that someone, whoever made this into a "pandemic," please send me a check to supplement my day's work...I'm about to make my kids start calling the news channels with their questions.

No comments: