Thursday, April 1, 2010

short soap box

I thought about writing this last night when I was a bit more riled up, but alas, Idol drags on forever on Wednesdays and because I have to get up so stinkin' early, I have to go to bed so stinkin' early. Now that I've had a day to ponder my thoughts, they're still ever-present, but perhaps I have cooled down a bit.

So unless you've been living under a rock, you know that Sandra Bullock's husband has not been faithful and has possibly partaken in multiple affairs while married to her. Yesterday, Mr. Jesse James decided to check into rehab to "work on personal issues." Last I checked, making the choice to step out of your relationship, in secrecy, and get naked with others, is not an issue of addiction, nor is it an issue often necessitating rehab services. Some therapy, a good and honest look at your present relationship, and a swift kick in the pants, yes.

I have a very real concern that thanks to some of these stellar individuals (Mr. Woods and Mr. James in particular), that rehab might become the new "it" thing to do when you mess up big time and get caught. Don't want to have to say "Yes, I made a major, major, major mistake, I made a bad choice(s)....?" Don't worry, you can check yourself into an ultra fancy rehab facility and place the blame on your addictions...that way you don't have to actually take any responsibility for your actions.

This being said, I realize that some addictions are real and really do require treatment. I really do. But do I think either of the above gentlemen (or any of their potential followers) truly have an addiction? Absolutely not. I think they made conscious decision after conscious decision to put themselves in particular situations for reasons far from being addicted.

Maybe I wouldn't be so mad/disappointed/concerned/riled up if I didn't spend my days in a building with 700+ young kids. 700+ kids who are instructed daily about the importance of responsibility. And integrity. And respect. And honesty. 700+ kids who watch and hear the news, who are hearing and learning about adults who don't care to value some of these basic concepts.

I realize no one is perfect.

I'll step down from my soap box now...

No comments: