Tuesday, April 17, 2012

i heart food.

Poached Eggs with Spinach and Walnuts Recipe
While my plate wasn't quite that pretty, it did taste as good as it looks. I'm back on an egg kick in a big way...breakfast, dinner, both meals. I figured this was a good recipe to try while my guy was out of town, and it didn't disappoint. It caught my eye because it's super healthy and has four (count 'em, four!) of my most favorite ingredients of all time: thyme, eggs, Gruyere cheese and shallots. I did my own thing with acorn squash, but I'm sure the accompanying recipe is great.
Poached Eggs with Spinach & Walnuts (serves 4...or less if you know eating only one egg for dinner will make your stomach rumble right before you go to bed)

1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 (10-ounce) bag baby spinach, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 sliced shallots
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
3/4 teaspoon chopped thyme, divided (I put it all in at once)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, quartered (I bought already sliced)
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped and divided (I put it all in at once)
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
8 cups water (I cut this in half for 2 eggs)
2 tablespoons white vinegar (did you know this keeps the eggs from separating?)
4 large eggs (I did 2 eggs since it was just me...1 egg wouldn't have been enough for dinner)

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes. Remove spinach from pan; drain, cool slightly, and squeeze out excess moisture. Add remaining oil to pan. Add garlic and shallots; sauté 3 minutes. Add sage, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, 1/2 cup walnuts, red wine vinegar, and cheese; cook 30 seconds.

Combine water and white vinegar in a large saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Break each egg gently into pan. Cook 3 minutes. Remove eggs using a slotted spoon. Spoon mushroom mixture onto
plate(s). Top each serving with 1 egg. (Sprinkle evenly with remaining thyme, pepper, and walnuts. Unless you didn't follow the directions and put everything in the pot at once to save time/steps).
Just fab!
From Cooking Light, March 2012

No comments: