Wednesday, January 14, 2009

randoms & recipes

I had good intentions to blog about my super fun weekend, but time has gotten away from me! For a recap of my SUPER fun, I-want-to-do-that-every-weekend (well, maybe....), Friday night, visit Meredeth's blog...my famous words were the title for that blog. I definitely checked one thing off my to do list... :) As for Saturday, I met up with MJ, Suz, and Emily for a late Christmas exchange and dinner. We ate some yummy Mexican food, watching some new wrestling moves, analyzed life-ish things, and just laughed a lot-which is what we're good at! I love those girls!!!

I got my new bedding which I'm semi-obsessed with. I can't wait to put it all together. Speaking of, I got my llaves for the neuvo casa. :)

First week of classes at TCU-done. Not sure how I feel about my Monday class (Assessment). Pretty sure I'll love Tuesdays (DSM)...I'll be diagnosing all of you with all kinds of disorders as the semester progresses. Get excited!

Um, Simon is back. Oh how I have missed his "That was a horrible audition...worst thing I've ever heard...who tells you are a good singer?....you're finished." He's paused right now on the DVR so I don't miss a minute of his sweet face.

On to the recipes:

Pineapple-Stuffed Jerk Chicken (serves 8)
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 cans (20 ounces each) pineapple chunks in juice, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
4 scallions, thinly sliced
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
Cooked rice, for serving

In a small bowl, combine thyme, allspice, cayenne, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; set spice mixture aside. In a medium bowl, stir together pineapple, lime juice, scallions, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Season stuffing with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Lay chicken flat on a work surface. With a paring knife, cut a 2-inch-long slit in the thick side of each breast; insert knife, and pivot inside chicken without enlarging opening, carefully forming a deep pocket (make sure not to pierce the opposite side). Dividing evenly, tightly pack each breast with stuffing; rub exterior with oil, and sprinkle with spice mixture.
Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; arrange chicken on sheet. Broil until chicken is opaque throughout and an instant-read thermometer inserted into stuffing reads 165, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve stuffed chicken with rice.

*I cut the recipe in half and only used 4 chicken breasts. This is pretty tasty and definitely fresh with the pineapple. I used some tasty brown rice courtesy of my twin.

Hummus and Vegetable Wrap
1 wrap or large tortilla
hummus
1/2 of a yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 plum tomato, seeded and thinly sliced
alfalfa sprouts
1/4 avocado, thinly sliced

Spread hummus on wrap, leaving a one-inch border all around. Mound all ingredients in the center and then....wrap it up! SOOOOO tasty and fresh-tasting!! I highly recommend this one when you're brown baggin' it. :)

No comments: