Wednesday, March 4, 2009

apartment antics

So I've been in my place for a little over a month now and I'm pretty settled in. I still need to get a few more things for the walls and I'm in a desperate search for an outside couch like the one I see in the backyard of a house on my walks. So far, no luck. Luckily I still have some time until its truly patio weather.

Being that I am by far one of the youngest people living here...by approximately 50ish years, I've already had quite a few experiences with the old folks.

1. The old man below me was wheeled out on a stretcher at 2 a.m. a few weeks ago...luckily... he's back. I told Emily about it and she wrote a whole blog about my experience here: http://clarkyclark.com/2009/02/19/a-real-life-nancy-drew/.
I think the next 2 adventures are payback for all my old spying days.

2. I have a serious Snow White complex. I have taken in many a bird and fed them watered down Ritz and water with eyedroppers, mealworms, and even taught one little survivor to fly. Elvis the cat would have been mine in the 2622 days had I been more interested in having a pet at the time. So instead of adopting him, I just let him in our apartment, cross-eyed and all, to hang out and nap on my bed. I believe he knocked his sister up at least once while we lived there. If I had a house, backyard, and doggie door, I would probably have 3 dogs by now. I want to make (almost) every stray a pet.
Enter this little nugget of affection:
The first time I saw her, she was eating with the raccoons at night in front of my car. Um, bada**. Second time, she was under my car and then just about climbed up my pants leg to get to my hand so I would then pet her. Well, duh. She came around a few more times, and since I'd been pondering getting Mazie a friend due to her recent wake-me-up-exactly-one-hour-before-my-alarm-goes-off and destructive tendencies, I thought maybe this was the perfect time. I made an appt. with my vet for the little kitty, but of course could not find her when it was time for the appt. She then showed up again and I decided to put some food out to see if she would come around. ONCE. I turned around from dumping out what was probably 1/2 cup of food and one of the older ladies in the complex was standing at her trunk watching. I knew immediately that I was in trouble. I think got a good 10ish minute lecture about how all these cats run wild and procreate and kill shrubbery from spraying and somehow also contributed to the death of her indoor, 12 year old cat. Then she saw my Blue Haze emblem on my shirt(thank goodness for field trip day) and I think that softened her up a bit; she's a high school librarian. Lord, please do not let me be the 60 year old cat lady living in a one-bedroom apartment giving lectures one day.

3. I went to turn in my rent check on Monday before class and the nice older lady in the office said "You can't leave a dog in your apartment." Um, I felt like I was 6 years old. Emily had come over for the day for a wedding shower and sushi dinner. She brought Rocky so he and Mazie could have a play date. Apparently he was barking and she got a lot of complaints. I apologized profusely since dogs aren't even allowed in the complex and told her he wouldn't be here again. She was really nice and said something about the spoiled older people who complain. Now I'm paranoid that the old folks are banding together to oust me and my animal ways.

4. I have seen TWO cars with "Clubs" on the steering wheel. Seriously?!?
A-Who has used one of those since 1992?
B-Who wants your 1990 Toyota Camry?

No comments: