Sunday, June 14, 2009

asian invasion

I am, oh-so-surprisingly, sharing yet another delicious Asian recipe I just recently tried. It literally takes about 10 minutes and is made with 4 ingredients...score! I have started watching a show on Discovery Health called "Just Cook This." The "cooking guy," Sam, is highly ADHD, but he makes thing that look really yummy. Here's his recipe I tried:

Beef Chow Mein with Black Bean Sauce
(serves 4ish)

1 pound steak (I used flank)
1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus 1 teaspoon
4 ripe medium sized ripe tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
One 7-ounce package Asian stir fry noodles (from the refrigerator section at the market), but don't use the sauce mix
2 tablespoons black bean sauce (also found in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets)

Trim excess fat from the steak and slice into very thin slices.
Preheat a pan or wok on stove top and heat really well over high heat, then add oil. When the oil is smoking, and not until, add beef and stir fry for a couple minutes until beef changes color and is cooked through. Remove and set aside.
With the pan back on the heat and smoking again, add a teaspoon of oil and the tomatoes. Stir-fry about a minute.
Add the beef, noodles and black bean sauce to the tomatoes. Stir the whole business until the flavor is through everything and all is heated.

That's it! It's really that easy and it's really, really good. I think I'll try it with chicken next time.

Piece of advice: make sure your vent works (mine apparently is sick)...this is super smoky (be sure you use the peanut oil or another oil that can handle high heat)...and while I miraculously did not set off the fire alarm, I did have to open windows and turn the fan on to try and rid my place of smoke.

No comments: