Monday, October 13, 2008

crossfit

Thank you, Christopher Columbus, for doing something that hundreds of years later would give me a nice three day weekend. I know it sounds completely dorky, but I was SO excited to go the grocery store on a Monday instead of the usual Saturday or Sunday morning. It was so quiet and the shelves were completely stocked with everything I needed-except shallots and butternut squash. Luckily, I enjoy finding reasons to visit Central Market, so that's what I did afterwards. I was able to sleep in this morning, watch some morning TV shows I only get to watch in June and July, and workout in the middle of the day. Mazie, on the other hand, has not appreciated my extra day at home...instead she has been outside talking to and trying to catch a squirrel...and I'm not all that sure what she would do if she were able to actually get one. The closest she has come is about 2 feet-yikes!

Anyway, I finally gave in on Saturday and let Andrew prescribe for me a little Crossfit workout. He is basically in love/infatuated with/obsessed with Crossfit. He has new Crossfit friends. He tells everyone he knows about it. And he finds ways to work it into conversations that are completely irrelevant to the subject. The theory of the workouts is that basically you're going for speed, no matter what the workout actually is. So, in a way its almost as much of a mental workout as a physical one. I have been running short distances in addition to my walking for a couple of weeks, so this is what Andrew cooked up for me:

1 lap around the track (quick jog, but not sprinting)
10 push ups
20 crunches

Do this 5 times as quickly as possible.

It didn't look too bad on paper, although I knew otherwise. He has hooked Emily into the workouts so I have also heard about their difficulty from her. The first 3 rounds were not bad. When I started running the 4th lap, I grew concerned that I was the only one at the track, and therefore when I passed out, no one would find me for a while. I made it through and by the time you are on the 5th one, you know you're almost done. I did it all in 15:03...I have no gauge to know whether that is good or not...but I'll settle with the fact that I completed it and didn't collapse on the track. It took me a while to feel back to normal, however, and when I saw Andrew later that night I asked why he was trying to get rid of me via death by Crossfit.

I decided to use my free afternoon today to workout when I wanted to. The only part of me still sore from Saturday was my chest, so I decided to do the same workout but substitute 30 jumping jacks for the push ups. Today was so much better!! I don't feel like death. I also shaved 10 seconds off my time...I don't know if I ran a little faster or if the jumping jacks just took less time than the push ups. Either way, my heart rate returned to normal a lot quicker and I feel much better than the other day.

1 comment:

clarkyclark said...

You've been sucked in!!!