Monday, September 29, 2008

it's what's for dinner

My bff, Emily, had a genius idea to post a blog about her dinner recipes for the week. We like similar food and are always oogling over each other's lunches, so it comes natural that all of her meals sounded great to me! I don't cook quite as often as she does...mainly because I usually have only my mouth to feed, not anyone else's. I also like to cook things that I can eat off of for a couple of meals...I LOATHE packing my lunch, but since my only other option is cafeteria food, it must be done. Every night. So the more meals I can plan to eat again for lunch, the better...like dinner tonight:

lighter sesame chicken (serves 4)
3 T honey
2 T sesame seeds
2 T soy sauce
1 garlic clove finely chopped
2 large egg whites
1/4 C cornstarch
1.5 lb chicken breasts, cut into bite size chunks
2 T veg. oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
coarse salt and ground pepper

1. Make sauce in small bowl:
-combine honey, soy sauce, garlic, and sesame seeds. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together cornstarch and egg whites (this gets really thick). Add chicken and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 T of oil. Add half the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown (6-8 min.). Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
4. Return all chicken to skillet, add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat.

I steamed some broccoli and cooked some brown rice to go with it. Easy and good! And healthy, too. :)

On a side note, I am in love with Asian food, so I cook it quite often. I love the veggies, protein, and whole grains all in one bowl! Sorry if it's not your thing...my recipes probably won't be that exciting for you. And by you, I mean all 3 of you who actually read this.

2 comments:

Emily said...

YAY!!! That looks at sounds YUMMY!! Thanks Mary! So, I'm not quite so dorky after all.

Meredeth said...

so um .... yall dont oogle over my cottage cheese, apple, and lima bean lunch .... feelings hurt