Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"my heart is beating so hard"

...is what one of my precious darlings said to me today after school. Why, you ask? Well, his dad got out of prison last night after being in for 5 years. He was riding in the car today to pick up his son. You would have thought Santa Claus, the Jonas Brothers, and Miley Cyrus were in the car; that's how excited he was...dancing, straining his eyes for the slightest view of his car in the driveway, telling me approximately 12 times (in about 10 minutes) that his dad was in the car. What's the point of me writing about this? Little darling "Mess" as I call him, is the poster child for resiliency.

He's the one who never looks at me or says something to me without first showing me his toothless grin-he's just that happy. He's the one who quarantined himself at the reading table on Monday because he didn't want to infect anyone with his cold germs. He's the one who said, "Miss Loranger, I think we need to share ideas." Me: "Um, what do you mean?" Mess: "I think we should move everything out of the way and all sit in a circle and share ideas." Of course. He's the one who I have renamed "Mess" because he is all over the place, all day, everyday, and he has completely captured my heart. He's also the child whose mom "left me at my grandma's one day 2 years ago...she just left and we haven't seen her since then...it's like she's dead or something." She doesn't know what she's missing. He's the kid whose dad has been in jail for who-knows-what for 5 years; so essentially all of little Mess's life. He has been living with aunt and uncle, grandma, sister, and cousin.

Yes, this is the child who tries hard on everything, the child who is so very academically successful, and who is by far the happiest kid in my room of 22. This is the child who I most look forward to seeing (all teachers have favorites, don't believe one who says they don't)...he has the most infectious spirit of almost anyone I've spent time with-adult or child.

Resiliency has never looked better. I've even got that shell he gave me at open house sitting on my desk to remind me.

4 comments:

Shellee said...

This post breaks my heart and makes me smile all at the same time! What a neat kid!

Emily said...

What a great story! It's good to know it's "normal" to have favorites! :)

Laury said...

i definitely almost cried reading this.

deneise said...

he is so blessed to have you as his teacher. i heard him telling mrs. elza how excited he was about seeing his dad that day!! :)