Saturday, August 16, 2008

it's the bee's knees




Let me begin by saying BlackBerry Farm=A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I can think of no other word to describe it. When we pulled up to the property, all you could see were trees, rolling green hills, and white picket fences. Then you pull into the front desk area and the magic really begins. Everyone that works there is so excited to see you, they have Hershey kisses with almonds in a bowl on the counter, and you get actual keys for your room, not plastic cards to swipe. And the rooms are not numbered like 245, 510...oh, no no. They are named. Mine was Lady Slipper. Most of the rest of Andrew's family's rooms were named after birds. And Andrew's, of course, was slightly creepy...Doll's Eye. We proceeded to laugh, chant that name, and make up stories about what would happen in the middle of the night to him the entire time. I also had chocolates with a little note on my pillow each night...I managed to find room in my stomach for those, too.
A gourmet chef selects the menus (yes, all 3 meals) for each day and then you get to pick whatever you want to eat. There were usually 3 courses plus dessert at lunch and dinner. What did Andrew do the last night? Well order two dinners, of course. Good thing he's so cute. It's like a cruise ship-all the food is included in the room occupancy. All the food is fresh from the farm and delicious. I tried all kinds of veggies I'd never had/heard of before: lemon cucumbers, tiny tomatoes that were smaller than grapes-and also the best tomatoes I've ever had, wreckfish and sturgeon (which, obviously, weren't quite from the farm). I always finished a meal thinking there was no way I'd be hungry for the next one, but surprise-I always was! I even had peanut butter cookies with chocolate milk-in a mason jar, no less, with lunch one day. We ate lunches on the picnic tables in the above picture. Dinner on two nights was in the "barn"...which, yes, was a red wooden structure but looked like a magazine inside-gorgeous. One night we had dinner in the garden which was complete with a fiddle player, a garden kitty, and all sorts of crops growing about 10 feet away.
I did attempt rock climbing, but in the end did not complete it because I'm too dang short and was a little scared. We drove up the mountain with our guide and repelled, which I enjoyed. I have only climbed fake rocks before, however, so climbing a rock that is leaning at less than a 90 degree angle was a bit intimidating. I couldn't hoist myself up for the last part to ring the imaginary bell, but I still had fun. We also rode bikes all around the property, played with the puppies in the barn and the barn kitty, got a little spa treatment (played with that kitty too), talked to some horses, roasted smores at the bonfire, put our life in Andrew's hands as he pretended he was actually part of MarioKart while driving the golf cart through the woods, and laughed and relaxed A LOT. I even fell asleep while at the pool and woke up to my own drool...that, my friends, is true relaxation.
The employees are awesome and are like genies in the sense that they grant whatever wish you have. You want dark chocolate Dove bars in your freezer instead of milk chocolate? Done. Bagel with breakfast? Done. Soymilk? Done. Firmer pillow? Ditto. Now, you're probably thinking those are fairly simple requests. The unusual part is that those above mentioned items were not available on the property so some minion had to go out and fetch them. Yes, it's true. None of those were my requests, mind you. My only request, which really just started out as a simple question, was when a helpful employee picked April and me up from the spa. I asked him where the dairy barn was and instead of telling me how to get there, he just took us. He pointed out the sweet herding dogs and told us their background story. Then he showed me the sheep and took me into the area where they are milked at 7:00 every morning. He explained the process to me and reminded me that I could come watch the next morning. Thanks, but no thanks. He then explained how after I saw the milking I could go see where they make the cheese with the milk. I would enjoy that, but never made it. Which means I must visit again. He even pointed out the little baby chicks and how cute they were when they jumped up on the bush branch to escape from me trying to pet them. Then he took us on a little path so we could see where the horse riding trails were through the hills/mountain. All we'd done was ask for a ride back to our rooms from the spa. It was probably the closest I'll ever feel to being a celebrity. None were there; I asked. But I did find out that Brad Paisley had been there recently. I can't leave my celebrity passion behind, even on vacation.
Minor anecdote I'll share only because of my love of physical humor: Andrew was pushing me on the swing (in the pic above) when we got there. It's on a pretty significant hill. I first had to ask him how to swing...it'd been so long since I had and I honestly forgot how to. My legs were going in the wrong direction at the wrong time. He is so patient. Then I thought I was close enough to the ground to jump off. Wrong. My legs buckled under me and I went rolling down the hill. Apparently I resembled Gumby.
Also, on the last night there I got a major bumble bee (we think) sting on one of my knuckles while walking into the barn. Definitely shed tears because I have never had that type of pain feeling before. My hand is still swollen from it...The sweet waitress brought me some ice and a sting relief packet. Someone else brought me a cocktail.

5 comments:

clarkyclark said...

I'm drooling at the scenery in your pictures...I'm glad you guys had such a fun time. Doll's eye is equally disturbing and fitting for Andrew. Red rum.

Emily said...

LOVE those pics, Mary! The one of you and A sitting on the hill is picture perfect...future Christmas card maybe? I'm glad you had fun! You totally deserved it!

Anonymous said...

sweet!
glad you had a good time and tried the rappelling!
wish you'd been able to catch one of the baby ducks! next time!
here's what i can't figure out though: why they used the word "lady" with the word "slipper."
like they'd use any other word with slipper?
i mean, they wouldn't say: man slipper or banana slipper or baby duck slipper. (or baby arm slipper for that matter.)
i especially don't understand why it was called lady slipper and andrew's was dolls eye when the others were flower names!
what's up with that?!
i want to go there. it looks lush!

clarkyclark said...

BABY ARM...................



STAY HARD!

Suzanna said...

Lady Slipper is a flower...

You played with barn kitty and got a spa treatment for WHAT kitty?

Sounds/looks awesome, wish I could have seen you fall off the swing, hahaha,
Gumby!